Tuesday, July 2, 2013

MTC Week!


                Hello everyone! It's Taylor. Melissa has allowed (and trusted) me to update her blog and Facebook while she is away on her mission in Las Vegas! Melissa went into the MTC on June 19th and left on July 1st! This is the first letter she sent to us:


Wow! It has been a whirlwind of crazy here at the MTC!
Firstly, I would just like to thank everyone that wrote me/sent me packages this past week! I have the best family and friends in the world and I feel so supported and loved. My district is convinced that I have tons of boyfriends ;)  

Let me now describe what the MTC is like. I like to think of it as a spiritual bootcamp. I feel like I've been emotionally, physically, and spiritually drained, but only to be emotionally, physically, and then spiritually revived. Missionary work is all about selflessness. Forgetting yourself and getting to work. Yes Mumma, I am getting up on time every morning- I'm like super tired every day though and I pray for energy lots. Also, Jiffer was 100% spot on. The food here completley messes with your digestive system. I probably spend an average of an hour and a half in the bathroom on an average day. I actually think I've been losing weight, because I can't keep anything down. 

Um my district is a total of 8 people. None are from Utah. We are all going to the same mission. We are all a bunch of crazies. I've come to realize they send the crazy kids to stateside english speaking missions. I'm trying so hard to learn patience. Funny story here- Elder Howard is one of my zone leaders. One day, I was upset and was crying (we had a really unproductive first TRC) anyways he looked at me and said. "Wow. Sister Andelin, you look like a hot mess." Our district leader, Elder Lahti, got mad and came over and said "Elder Howard that was really inappropriate and flirtatious. Don't do that again." And then they started to argue. Elder Howard said "I don't see how that was inappropriate. Look at her. Her face is all red and she is crying and she looks like a hot mess." It was kind of hilarious.
Oh! I got to meet my mission president! He and his wife are incredible. You were right Mumma! They are entirely perfect for me. They have the perfect combination of love, humor, and good-naturedness while still stressing obedience. I got to hug my mission mother, Sister Ahlander and I know that I will be taken such good care of during my mission. They go down to Vegas today and we will be their first set of missionaries- they said we will be their favorites ;) Sis Ahlander is really excited to cook us a nice big breakfast for when we come. Speaking of, we leave THIS MONDAY!!!! Super early in the morning-- like 4am-ish. There are 21 of us.

I see Hyrum all the time, by the way! I stinkin' love him. He gave me a blessing earlier this week. I love him and am so grateful we are going to the same mission. Cool side note- Hyrum's companion is Elder Hartsock. His older brother plays basketball for BYU and when he gets back he is going to play as well. He is 6'8!

Also, so part of the reason I LOVE the MTC is because I have seen over 20 people here from BYU or home or for other weird connections. 

Well I'm running out of time. AAAHHHH! Um so I was not actually in the conference at all. They wouldn't let me join the choir because it was too big. I was there...just never on camera. I wore my blue suit and a pink shirt. :) It was such a cool conference!!!

Thanks for the cookies Mumma! 

I know that this is the restore gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that the Atonement is real and He can help fix us. I love missionary work!
Sorry this is so scattered and such. Hopefully the letters will get better.
I love you all!
-Sister Andelin


Here are the pictures she sent to us in the email:


here is a name pronunciation chart i made for the missionaries in my district

Elder and Sister Andelin

me and my companion

me and sister roberts--she just left for france





~Whale Trainer Taylor

-Smells

No comments:

Post a Comment