Thursday, June 13, 2013

Farewell Week

People have been asking me lately how I feel with my impending mission departure coming up soon.

First, I laugh.

And then I tell them that I am feeling all of the emotions in the entire world. Yes - that is quite a few.

A little mixture of fear, happiness, anxiety, excitement, sadness, giddiness  uneasiness, delighted-ness, worried-ness, uncertain-ness, courageous-ness...etc etc

But mainly, I just try not to think about it too hard, because it is pointless to worry about the inevitable or the things you can't control. 

However, I was forced to think about it this past Sunday when I gave my farewell talk. I was so touched to see so many of my family and friends in attendance at church. As I was sitting on the stand, I turned to one of my best friends, Kristin Palmese, who was also giving a talk (which was excellent btw). This was our conversation.

Me: "Kristin. I'm going on a mission..."
Kristin: "Yes Melissa. You are."
Me: "No, no, you don't understand... I'm going on a mission!"
Kristin: "...Yes.... you are..." (Then she laughed and looked at me like I was a craycray.)

That was when it first really hit me. This is why this past month has been a whirlwind of crazy... doctors appts, dentist teeth cleaning, SO MUCH SHOPPING, visits with family and friends-- some of that involving flying to New York, haircut, wisdom teeth extraction, going through the temple <3... ALL FOR A MISSION!!!!!! And now the clock is really ticking fast... I'm going on a mission!

For my farewell, I was the final speaker and talked about Hope in the Atonement of Jesus Christ, which is one of my favorite topics, so it was really fun to prepare it. It was also really special because my cousins Thomas and Rachel were able to share their musical prowess with the congregation as they played a piano duet of  "I Need Thee Every Hour". It was beautiful and really invited the spirit into the meeting.

Afterwards we had a lunch with all of my family who came into town. It was scrumptious-- we ate some good ol' southern barbque (that is how I want to spell it, ok?) with fruit salad and salad salad. Then for dessert we ate this yummy strawberry cake concoction.

So enough of words. Let's look at lots of pictures!

<----- So Kelli and I were matching-- Pink sweaters, white dresses, green bags, white shoes-- Twas not planned, but deemed picture worthy.










Coolest fam ever. If you are not apart of my family, it would be very appropriate if you are feeling jealousy right about now ;)


Stud Muffins

Our love is real
Sometimes Tay's eyes actually look Asian. Cutie.

Andelin Child #7 and #6 

Ok if the big fam picture didn't make you jealous, this picture should, because I have the coolest Uncle ever
The triplets- Jakey, Rachey Baby, Thom

Cutie Pies

Three of my adorable nieces and nephew


This doesn't really have to do with anything, but this was later that day and Ryan  was all wound up and practicing his whale moves---this entails jumping of the couch onto the bean bag at Uncle Taylor's command via certain hand signals. Yes his Uncle has trained him in the art of Whale.

-Smells





No comments:

Post a Comment