Wednesday, September 25, 2013

August 26: I Love My Mission!!!

Christa and Kp sent me--- beef jerky (of course), gum, ramen noodles, fruit snacks, letters, lotions, hand sanitizer, nail polish (super cute colors), and nail filer stuff. It was pretty much awesome.
Good luck to Jana and Ty. I'll keep them in my prayers.
Also, I should like some artwork from Ryan and Ashleigh and Addison sometime. And some more from Fae and Lexi. :) And just pictures. I like to get pictures because then I can put them on my wall of two pictures. 

For the first time in the past 8 weeks, I can honestly say:
I Love My Mission.
This realization dawned on me last night as I left the D home. It was like a burst of inspiration that came over me.
You see, I liked my mission before. It was good. But I finally can say-- I love my mission. And I don't love it because it's easy, because it sure as heck isn't easy. I don't love it because it's fun- even though it can be fun. I don't love it because there are so many rules- there are a lot of rules. I don't love it because of the location- most of the time it's just hot and dry and barren here. I love it because it's worth it. I love it because I get to help people. I love it because I can see how the gospel blesses families and individuals. I love it because I am a first hand witness of the power of the Atonement and of Jesus Christ. I love it because I am doing what I need to be doing right now. I love it because it's worth it.
So back to my realization. We had just had a wonderful dinner with the beautiful D family. The parents and the 5 kids and the mom's sister who was in town and Sister Thornock and I all sat around their dinner table and we enjoyed Armenian/Persian food. Afterwards we had a lesson. During the lesson their oldest 2 girls also expressed a desire to be baptized. So all those eligible in their family are going to be baptized. Together. Then the girls ran upstairs to go get something. They came back downstairs with two identical gift bags. Sister D had made both Sister Thornock and I a really cute gift bag with an assortment of things- shampoo, conditioner, lip gloss, toothpaste/toothbrush, a bookmark she had made, and some books. I just wanted to cry. It was so sweet. And for the first time with us, she prayed aloud. It was beautiful. And in the prayer she thanked the missionaries for helping her and her family in her life. I think I did start to tear up a little at that point. Then it came time for us to leave and the older two girls didn't want us to leave. So I just left their house and realized how blessed I am to be here in the Las Vegas West Mission, in the Spring Mountain Zone, in the Southern Highlands Ward, serving among wonderful children of God who have been prepared by the Lord and are ready to receive His word.
Yesterday in general was just a good day. Our new investigator R, came to church with us. He is the Warriors for Christ guy. He thoroughly enjoyed it. We have our first official appointment with him this week. A less active guy, T, came to church as well. And another lady we've been working with, that has some health issues, was able to make it to church as well. 
I want to tell you about the T family. We had an apt Monday night with a lady, but we show up and she isn't there. Surprise! That never happens. So on our way back to the car, we had parked further away, I see these two guys in their garage with the door up and they're just sitting there enjoying the cooler weather we've been having recently. We get in the car. I turn it around to leave. I have a feeling to go see those two guys. I pull a 180 and we get out of the car and proceed to go up to these guys. They're both Samoan and one is smoking. They've got beards and tats. I'm feeling a little intimated, but I preserve.
"Hello! Enjoying the nice weather out tonight?" -This comes out of my mouth
"Yup." -Him
"Are you Lakers fans?" (There is Lakers memorabilia all in the garage. See what I did there?)
"Yes. Hey we're Mormon! Don't mind our smoking." -Him
To my astonishment, they are both LDS- less active. But they had moved recently (approx. 6 months) from Hendersen and their names weren't on the official ward roll yet. So we get to talking with them about why they're not coming to church. That is a whole nother story, but anyways we commited Bro. T to coming to church and he did! Yay for spiritual promptings.
Training is going well. I think? I got a blessing from the ZL and that was really helpful. I'm just feeling stressed right now, because we are preparing 6 people for baptism and I've never done that before, so I just want to make sure they're ready.
Life is good. God is great. And the mission is crazy.
(It's a country song that I just modified and likened to myself.)
I love you all.
Thanks for all your love and support.
<3 Sister Andelin

Me and Sister T at Zone Conference

Me and the Mission President and His wifey

Me with the bag from Sis D

No comments:

Post a Comment