Wednesday, September 25, 2013

August 5: Awesomeee Beans

THIS WEEK HAS BEEN AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
Let me tell you why. I learned some lessons. Two in particular. Here goes:
1. Firstly, missions prepare people for marriage. Well at least I would assume they do. I've never been married before. But ask me in a few years and I'll confirm or deny that claim.
I think naturally when you are with a particular person 24/7, 7 days a week you are bound to have rough patches. Sister Dewey and I experienced that this past week. We had a movie-esq moment in the car where we both lost it and started yelling at each other. And then 5 seconds later, felt bad about it. Anyways, we had a really good talk and know we are all good. I knew that is was inevitable, considering we hadn't had a real argument before then. We took care of it though and we're back to good. But you are just stuck with that person and have to make decisions together. And when things are bothering you, you can't let it fester inside of you like we did. Because then you'll explode. And explosions are bad. You have to actually talk about things. Like outside of your brain and into the air. Luckily, in marriage, you get to choose your companion and it'll be a boy ;) But anyways...missions prepare people for marriage.
2. Secondly, missions prepare people (women) for childbirth. I've never had a child before. But ask me in a few years and I'll confirm or deny that claim.
Let me explain my reasoning... you knock on so many doors or visit so many types of people. Some mean. Some bitter. Some indifferent. And it causes a deep pain in your soul when they completely reject your invitation to learn about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. And then you knock on that one door or visit that one person that restores your hope in humanity. And all of the pain you've been feeling is just washed away, by the joy you feel in their acceptance. So just like childbirth is extremely painful (well one can only assume it is painful, considering a baby comes out of your body), your pain is washed away as soon as you hold the baby in your arms. And this is how a mission is like childbirth--- the most pain you'll ever feel and the most joy, combined into one beautiful, jumbled experience of emotions.
Ok now let me share some cool experiences.
This week we have 4 new investigators!!!!
That is the number 4. As in a quad. Or like 4 wheels on a car. Or 4 peas in a pod. (Just kidding about that one)
We have been working with a Samoan part member family. The two youngest kids, twins, are 9 years old. And they want to be baptized really bad! They are so precious. The first time we went, we challenged them to read from the Book of Mormon. Right before our return visit, Sister Dewey and I were doubtful that they actually read because they're little kids. But when we came in, they were so excited to tell us all about what they had read. In fact, T summarized the chapters she had read and I think she got more out of her reading than most adults do. We are really excited to work with them. They have such sweet spirits. We are planning on a baptism the end of August.
Another investigator is J. She is awesome. She has already read most of the BOM and is ready to go. She is actually in the Somerset ward, but wanted to be taught by sisters and so we are working with her. She is so willing that she'll text us and ask what she should read/do before our visit. We haven't officially taught her a lesson yet, but we have one scheduled for this Wednesday night.
Then we went to a referral given to us from someone in the ward. We had our lesson with them last night. They are the D family. They have 5 kids. They are also really receptive and ready for the gospel. We taught most of the first lesson and showed the Restoration video. The father was really excited to learn. He has been searching for a religion, but hasn't found one that fits his beliefs. He is Catholic right now, but he disagrees on the Trinity. So he was so excited to find out that we believe that Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are three separate entities, but united in purpose. As we were explaining our doctrines, he would nod and say "That makes so much sense!" We left them with two BOMs and the invitation to come to church, which they accepted. Super stellar family. But I don't know if they would have let us in, unless we had said that the H family thought they would be interested in learning more. THAT IS WHY WE NEED MEMBERS!
But right now we are working with a total of 8 investigators.
Remember the story about M, the girl we saw on the side of the road that I knew we needed to talk to? Well so she was on vacation, but she texted us last night and told us that she is coming home earlier than expected and she invited us over on Saturday for a bbq she is having. We are pretty stoked about that.
All in all, I can't complain about anything. I had an awesome week. I got a package in the mail (Thanks family! I love the smelly lotions. They are delicious to the touch.). I am actually still getting letters in the mail. My companion and I get along. We have an awesome area. And we are finally starting to see some of the fruits of our labors and see some success.
But the main reason I can't complain is because I have the restored gospel of Jesus Christ in my life. And that is such a priceless treasure. I am eternally indebted to my Savior. And I love being able to serve Him full-time for 18 months of my life. I love the Atonement. I love being able to change myself all the time and become better. I love being able to witness that change in others as a representative of Jesus Christ. I love the peace the Atonement brings in my life. There is no other way we can attain true peace in life, except through the Savior.
I love you all.
Love,
Sister Andelin
For a couple of days we got no mail. And then one day, we saw a letter and we got really excited. And then it was that junk mail.


Sister D and I at district meeting. I wore her matching skirt and we were twinsies.


No comments:

Post a Comment